Friday, May 18, 2012

Thoughts = Perception = Reality

For the last 2 days I have been in San Francisco finishing the rest of the training certification for Achieve Global's Sales programs. I was fortunate enough to be seated next to a woman who directed me to a book titled, The Luck Factor. Clearly I haven't read it yet but her description really made me think about a few things.

She said the basic assertion of the book is that luck is a perceived thing. In other words, you get what you look for. If you are always looking and waiting for the "other shoe to drop", it probably will. Those who have a positive outlook on life and all of its uncertainty will probably not perceive the same events in the same way. The same events would be occurring but because they look at it in another light it is viewed as less "unlucky" or perhaps, not about luck or negative circumstances at all.

I have always believed this and lived this way. I believe that even in the midst of the most trying of times, there are things we can learn and benefits to be gained if we look at it through a different set of lenses. I can distinctly remember times when I was giving more credence to the negative events than they deserved and they seemed to keep coming like hell fire until I changed my view of them. Suddenly, I felt very differently and although I didn't have any control over the events themselves, I did have complete control over my perception and subsequent reaction.

So I challenge you this week to change your lenses. How can you change your perspective? What can you learn from your circumstances? What benefit is there for the taking? What could you be missing out on by focusing on the wrong thing?

Change your perspective; change your reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment