Thursday, August 30, 2012

Buckets Full of Change

I've recently been asked several times why I haven't updated my blog is such a long time and the answer is very simple, while the activities behind it are actually quite complicated.  I don't have the time to dedicate to explain everything at this time, but have felt that the time is right to begin sharing.

The Holmes and Rahe stress scale is used in order to correlate stressful life events and the likelihood of illness and disease.  A score of over 300 "Life Change Units" is said to put one in the highest category of  "at risk of illness".  (You can find an easy to read article here: Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale)

The following represents how I stack up in the last 5 months:
Life event
Life change units
Notes
Divorce
73
June: In progress
Personal injury or illness
53
July: Result of stress?
Dismissal from work
47
Announced 8/24
Marital reconciliation
45
We’ve had to reconcile some since we are still living under the same roof.
Sexual difficulties
39
2012: Result of marital strife.
Change in financial state
38
2012: See spouse not working
Change in frequency of arguments
35
Ummm Divorce… duh.
Child leaving home
29
June: 2 month stay w/dad
Spouse starts or stops work
26
Off and on since Dec.
Begin or end school
26
March: Begun  Aug: Term End
Change in living conditions
25
See divorce/reconciliaton
Revision of personal habits
24
Stopped Working out
Change in sleeping habits
16
Not sleeping: Stress
Change in eating habits
15
Not eating well: Stress
Vacation
13
July: 20 yr Reunion
Total Life Change Units
504
Yikes!
So frankly, if I wake up with cancer tomorrow, I won't be surprised.  lol.  No, wait, that isn't a laughing matter.  Here is the way I see it.  I am certainly at risk for illness and the like, but I believe that it has more to do with your perception of the events than it does with the actual events themselves.  I believe that you can go through period of life such as mine and get through it without a hitch.  Clearly, the stress scale above isn't making a causative statement where I am destined to be ill due to the intensity of my score, but is merely making a correlation based on average responses of their study subjects over time.

We all have periods in our lives where we feel a sense of overwhelm.  Where it seems as if there isn't one more thing that we can handle, yet the universe seems to keep piling it on.  We exclaim, "When it rains it pours."  We reach out to friends and family for support in our time of need.  We cry ourselves to sleep, we weep at commercials, we lash out at our family for the slightest misgivings.  In doing so, we are venting, or bearing down on our pressure release valves that keep us from imploding.  However, there are other ways in which we can do this.  Much more constructive ways in fact.

One of my favorite ways to manage the stress, is to focus only on that which I can control.  Sometimes, that is very little, but it might be that I am in control of my workouts, or what I choose to have to drink that day.  Then I focus on my plan.  This piece is crucial for me.  I feel anxious when I don't have a plan of action, so I make one.  Again, I am then choosing my destiny.

Events will happen in our lives both good and bad.  The bad will seem to come all at once and pound us like a sledgehammer.  In order for you to be able to get through it in one piece, you need to choose a different path.  You need to make your plan in accordance with the circumstances that you happen to be in at the moment.  Figure out what you can control and begin to make plans to alter the circumstances.  You'll make it through....  we all do.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Amen! Nice blog post. Hope you stay healthy. Lots of change for a lot of people going on right now! If you want to talk, you've got my number..

    801-349-9207

    ReplyDelete